providing lawyers’
professional liability
insurance since 1979.

You are currently viewing only the summary of this resource article. If you are currently a policyholder, please now, using your Supreme Court Number to login. If you have any questions, please contact us.

Do I need malpractice insurance?

Article: February 11, 2015  |  AnnouncementsArticlesLaw Students

A lawyer needs to have legal malpractice insurance (also called lawyers professional liability insurance or LPL coverage) OR inform a client that she/he does not have malpractice insurance at the time of the client’s engagement or at ANY time subsequent to the engagement if the lawyer does not maintain such insurance. (See Ohio Rule of Professional Conduct 1.4) This insurance must be in the amounts of at least $100,000 per occurrence and $300,000 in the aggregate. The lawyer also must inform the client if the lawyer’s malpractice insurance is terminated.

If the lawyer does NOT have malpractice insurance, she/he must have the client sign the NOTICE TO CLIENT form found in Rule 1.4. The lawyer must keep a copy of the notice signed by the client for 5 years after termination of representation of the client.

To learn more and to apply for malpractice insurance, click here. OBLIC has provided lawyers professional liability insurance to Ohio lawyers since 1979. OBLIC was founded by Ohio lawyers in the Ohio State Bar Association for Ohio lawyers. OBLIC is part of the OSBA family and is proud to serve the LPL insurance needs of Ohio lawyers.

OBLIC is very excited to be the exclusive sponsor of!

Connect with Us

Stay up-to-date with all things OBLIC by finding us on social media and subscribing to our Malpractice Alert.

Contact Us

To contact us, call us at (800) 227-4111 or (614) 488-7924 to get additional information or have your questions answered.