SCAM ALERT!!!April 3, 2018 — Columbus, OH | Download PDF | Media Contact: Antionette Goff
Scams often have these features. Be on the lookout for:
- Emails that purport to be from a corporation that are sent from a gmail account
- Email addresses from a foreign country
- Requests to “collect a debt” or “close a deal” often for a large amount of money
- A potential representation where before you even have a fee agreement, you receive a check (often drawn on a foreign bank) with instructions to deposit the check in your trust account, and immediately wire funds from your account (to the purported client or a third party) and pay your fee (of course)
- Situations where the potential “client” does not pay your retainer, but nevertheless pressures you to take action
- A short time table between “retention,” “payment,” and demand for remittance of funds.
- The “payment” is almost always some form of fraudulent check or wire.
- Reply to the email
- Call the number in the email
- Send a fee contract
OBLIC is dedicated to protecting Ohio lawyers and their clients and has carried this mission for over three decades. OBLIC was incorporated on December 5, 1978 and commenced operations on September 1, 1979. The company was formed in response to an ongoing insurance crisis among Ohio attorneys. OBLIC's headquarters are located at 1650 Lake Shore Drive in Columbus, Ohio