we protect lawyers
and their clients.

You are currently viewing only the summary of this resource article. If you are currently a policyholder, please now, using your Supreme Court Number to login. If you have any questions, please contact us.

Just Suppose Someone Files a Grievance Against You…

Article: February 6, 2015  |  Law StudentsMalpractice Alerts

Just Suppose Someone Files a Grievance Against You…

By George D. Jonson

Filing a grievance against a lawyer is easy.  A grievance can be filed by anyone –

  • a client,
  • another lawyer,
  • a judge, or
  • a neighbor who is mad about the way you cut your grass.

Instructions on how to file a grievance can be found on the Ohio Supreme Court’s website, along with a complaint form. The form prompts

  • a description of the situation,
  • identity of witnesses,
  • the relief sought, and
  • supporting documents.

A grievance against a lawyer can be submitted to and investigated by the Office of Disciplinary Counsel (ODC), the certified grievance committee of a local bar association or the OSBA (collectively referred to here as a Disciplinary Authority). No matter which Disciplinary Authority receives the grievance, it is handled in the same way.

<read more in the Malpractice Alert! >

Connect with Us

Stay up-to-date with all things OBLIC by finding us on social media and subscribing to our Malpractice Alert.

Contact Us

To contact us, call us at (800) 227-4111 or (614) 488-7924 to get additional information or have your questions answered.