< Back
Coverage Question Series – Professional Services
Post on June 17th, 2021

This is a continuing series in which we address policy coverage questions that we  routinely discuss with you and your colleagues. The answers provided are based on the basic policy form, currently LPLP-1t; refer to your specific policy and any endorsements attached thereto that may change coverage or the answers provided. As you should expect, these Q&A scenarios are based on simple hypotheticals. Coverage determinations for an actual claim are ultimately based on the unique facts, applicable law, and the Terms, Conditions, Limitations, Exclusions, and Endorsements of your policy.

I am working as a mediator for an evictions clinic, am I covered?

Yes! Even though you may disappoint all parties with your successful and unsuccessful mediation work alike, you won’t be disappointed to learn that you are covered for your services as a mediator without the need to purchase additional coverage. The OBLIC policy’s definition of “Professional Services” specifically includes “services performed by the Insured as an arbitrator, mediator, certified parenting coordinator, lobbyist, or government agency hearing officer.” As can be expected, even in your non-traditional legal work, you must still be providing such services for others in the capacity of a lawyer for coverage to apply.